Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Economics of Life

Sometimes, sitting at a rooftop by the pool with a friend looking towards a majestic view and talking about life is just what one needs.


Life is all about making choices and opportunity cost. What you are willing to forego will highly depend on your calculations of the marginal utility that you will be gaining, in relation to the law of diminishing returns.


But as humans, we are all selfish, and would always want the best of both worlds. So what happens then? The solution that was given to me was to just make the best of what I have, look at the half glass of water as half-full instead of half-empty and stay positive and optimistic.


I understand that it is important to have a goal in life; the carrot or whatever reward at the end of the line that one is willing to work hard for. You may not get to the reward at the end, but sometimes it's not the end result that counts, but the fact that you have tried your best and the journey that got you there.


However, I am currently having a tough time figuring out what my carrot is, who knows it might not even be a carrot but an apple, orange, potato or just a piece of plain toast. Other than that, I supposed fear is holding me back too. The fear of failure and rejection always caused me to over analyze things and make it difficult to make my choice.


Have I succumbed to being complacent with life? Do I really need to be put in a state of true desperation before I finally realize what it is that I truly want?

3 critiques:

bc July 2, 2014 at 9:59 AM  

Some ppl search for it their entire life and still cannot find. I personally think what u want / goals / etc should be set in accordance to the stage of life we are at. Hence, short terms goals, needs and wants. It can nvr go wrong =)

C's July 6, 2014 at 10:54 PM  

I beg to disagree...there should be a long term goal to help you define your short term goals...if not then there wouldn't be any meaning in achieving your short term goals other than temporary satisfaction...

bc August 13, 2014 at 12:52 AM  

You have got a point there. Time to reassess my life LOL

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP