Monday, June 27, 2011

500 Days of Summer


This is quite an old movie, but I only knew about it after reading Jeanette's post. From the way she described it, it seemed quite interesting and relatable so I decided to watch it. Little did I know, the movie was way more relatable than I've imagined, to the point that it was a little scary. It even made me cry, twice! For those who know me, you should know that this is very abnormal. But then I guess sometimes you just need to let it out. Re-watched P.S. I Love You the other day and cried as well (I didn't the first time), so maybe I was just stress and in an emo mood. Anyway, 500 Days of Summer really had an effect on me (that's why it's worthy of a full blog post!). It is hard to describe what happened, but maybe you'll get a hint of how I felt by understanding what I thought about Summer and Tom.


SUMMER

Most people I've talked to thinks that Summer is a heartless bitch. I don't blame them. However, I find that she's only the way she is because of her insecurities, which was what made her so stone cold at times. She seems so carefree in the movie, doing whatever she pleases without a care in the world, as if nothing could harm her. A bit selfish, but then who isn't. I'd have thought she was a woman with an ice-cold heart as well if it were not for the scene where she brought Tom to her place and told him her secrets, and the park scene. If only I could wake up one morning like Summer and just know.


TOM

He appears to be very emotional and vulnerable, which earned him lots of sympathies. I didn't expect to relate to him as much before watching the movie, but surprisingly it wasn't hard to. He was so madly in love with Summer that he didn't see it wasn't the case for Summer, even though she had explicitly told him so from the start (one of the reason why I don't think Summer is a bitch). It's just so heartbreaking to see Tom after Summer left him. Though I find him a little pathetic at times, maybe that's just what being lovesick and heartbroken is like. If only I could believe like how Tom believe.


Many say that it is a sad movie with an unhappy ending. I beg to disagree. As the tagline says "This is not a love story...this is a story about love" and that is exactly what it is. Tom taught Summer to believe in love. Even when he said he had stop believing, it was only because it hurt too much. I think everyone has a little of both Summer and Tom in them, regardless of how much they deny it. One may have more of Summer or more of Tom in them, but both will always be present.


I actually have so much more to say about this movie, but it's getting really late and I'm getting sleepy. So I'm just going to end it here before I end up writing something stupid. Who knows I might come back and edit this some other day. Read a related post here.


Now who wants to play the Penis Game?
PENIS! XD

2 critiques:

Ken Wooi June 27, 2011 at 9:33 AM  

got the movie in my hard disk.. never had the time to watch :)

Unknown June 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM  

i just watched this AGAIN just now. sighs. i feel depressed =.=

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP