Thursday, March 31, 2011

Ice Kacang Puppy Love vs. Love in Disguise


Both movies were directed by directors who were originally singers, and probably will remain singers.
Both directors were also the main lead in the movie.
Both movies can be considered as romantic comedies.
Both movies were released in 2010.
Those are most likely the only commonality both movies have.

初恋红豆冰 (Ice Kacang Puppy Love) grossed USD1,344,496 and 恋爱通告 (Love in Disguise) grossed USD8,665,577 according to Box Office Mojo. Although there's a considerably difference in the numbers for both movies, both were great success in their respective country. 初恋红豆冰 has one of the highest local production box office records in Malaysia and 恋爱通告 broke the highest box office records in China for a first-time director.

In terms of numbers, 恋爱通告 no doubt owned 初恋红豆冰. But in terms of plot, acting and the movie as a whole, 初恋红豆冰 totally beats 恋爱通告 in my opinion.

初恋红豆冰 set in retro Malaysia with small little details like the Indian roti-man gave it a lot of kampung feel, which I really like because it feels more homey =) The characters were all really cute, jolly and funny which is always good to have in a feel good movie =D  Being a Malaysian-made movie, of course it had food in it, like the fried kuay teow, Hainan coffee, and the most important ice kacang =P If you know me, any movie that touch on food can't be terrible XD It also featured art, as in drawings which I'm also a sucker for. So 初恋红豆冰 really hit all the right notes for me. The storyline, despite not having your typical type of happy ending, was really nice. It not only managed to captured the feeling of puppy love which is fleeting and sweet, yet unforgettable. It also showed how we must work towards our dreams and goals because it won't just happen. I simply love this movie. The best Chinese local production by far! It's sad how such a good movie is finding it difficult to break-even though most of the actors/actresses got little pay in support of 阿牛 and the local film industry =(

恋爱通告 set in modern time Shanghai didn't really connect with me despite having stayed in China for nearly 5 years. It's probably due to the fact that it was too metropolitan in 杜明汉's world and the traditional folk music and Chinese art university which made up 阿得's world isn't really my thing. I feel the characters didn't really grow and develop in the movie, unlike in 初恋红豆冰. I didn't like the female lead; she was a bit stupid and lame compared to 打架鱼 in 初恋红豆冰 which I reckon has more personality and character. The plot was boring and predictable, and the bad CGIs just made it worst =S You'd have imagine with the money from all those in-your-face product placement, they'd hire better graphics designers -_-'' The only reason I can think of for why the movie is such a huge success is because 王力宏 is in it =.= I swear all those zoom ups on his face are on purpose (I don't deny I didn't enjoy them XD). He seemed like a pretty good kisser too in the last scene *LOL* However, the presence of the few lines alluding to how he might be gay is really questionable. I wonder if that's why I didn't feel the chemistry between him and the girl. It would also explain why he kept singing 多的是, 你不知道的事 and he always 需要人陪 *hahaha*

0 critiques:

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP